Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Moving the Mat


Yesterday, when I entered my Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday vinyasa flow class, my teacher noted someone had taken my usual spot. I glanced over with a small amount of apprehension. Would I be able to flow through downward dog, chataranga, upward facing dog, and get to my eventual shavasanah from some other vantage point in the studio?

In full disclosure, I've never been a "routine" girl, outside of my regular workouts and some temporary dietary obsessions like when I ate Oprah's personal chef's variation of Caesar salad for two weeks straight.

Yet, with some trepidition, I moved my mat to the "clock" side of the room. I glanced longingly at my usual spot. I noticed the adjacent space was free! Perhaps, my fellow yogis has repositioned their mats to accomodate me or maybe I just hadn't noticed. So, I moved my mat.

As I walked towards the "retreat" aka locker room after the 90-minute class, I reflected. The practice of yoga leads us to join our bodies and minds, to trust our instincts, to embrace our emotions and experiences. Yoga also makes us more flexibile, in body and in our spirit. So, why was I so reluctant to reposition my mat?

Repitition and routine are the comfort foods of behaviors. In our often chaotic and stressful lives, we need to count on a monthly game night, our morning latte or even our spot in the yoga studio. Of course, when these behaviors no longer serve us, maybe it's time to let go or find a better option than the daily burger, fries, and XL Diet Coke.

Making changes is easier when you can count on support. E-mail me at info@bethckramer.com to set up a complimentary health history consultation to find out how to get started.

And Happy Birthday, Chaz! xo



No comments:

Post a Comment