Sunday, October 13, 2013

Facing Down Fears


Last week, I drove through a narrow and windy rural route to meet a book importer at her home office. I hesitated as I approached a rather steep street. Should I continue on my path or return home?  I chose the former and spent a delightful hour chatting with the book importer at her charming residence. I left my appointment feeling proud I had faced down my fears.

In just a few weeks, I will be donating a kidney as part of a donor exchange program. I will share about the experience in the weeks to come.  The short version is my dad, in kidney failure, needs a kidney. Our tissue types are noncompatible so I will donate my kidney to a receipient in Virginia while my dad gets a kidney from a donor elsewhere. 

I've gone through rigorous testing to get this far. The ability to help my dad and another is a gift. Still, the surgery does come wrapped in a bow of some fear of the unknown. I've spoken with other donors, asked lots of questions. Information can be a powerful panacea for apprehensiveness but too much knowledge can fuel anxiety!

Life presents us with a surfeit of challenges, some of which scare the pants off us.  We need to take a deep breath and jump right in, like a kid contemplating the high dive.

Whether facing something like a first date or a job interview, a medical challenge or a life-changing event, we need to tap into our faith that we can handle what life brings.

Changes, no matter great or small, can bring fear. Making choices to pursue a healthier diet or exercise regimen may bring about a change in appearance and even your role with significant others. A health coach can help you navigate the feelings that come with these changes.  For more information, contact me at info@bethckramer.com or at Beth C Kramer, Health Coach on Facebook.

And remember, whatever challenges life brings, you can face them head on with faith in yourself and the support of loved ones who believe you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment