Saturday, February 2, 2013

Clean Your Personal Space

 
All car interiors appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real cars, living or dead, is purely coincidental!

Yesterday as I was waiting to start Coach Neda's insanely awesome Malibu JAM class (blog to follow!), I heard one of my fellow "dancers" quip her life seemed so disordered when her car or bedroom were in disarray.  I got to thinking how my personal panic mode sets in when my car is littered with the "accessories" that come with motherhood or when my bedroom is cluttered with anything from NyQuil bottles and cough drops to books and to-do lists.  Closets and drawers can be overflowing with cute shoes, NARS, skinny jeans, and Lululemon but once there's an overflow into other areas, anxiety sets in.

Living in LA, my car is a personal refuge as much as the means to get from Point A to Point B with school drop offs, yoga, Trader Joe's runs, and work in between.  I kaboshed the whole car as dining experience thing years ago.  But, kids still leave gum wrappers, shoes recently worn to a bat mitzvah, folders, and that middle school PE sweatshirt. Looking through the rear view mirror, only to find that horror of all horrors, a messy backseat!  My 12 year old daughter sometimes reminds me to take a cleansing breath, promising to put away her stash once we're home.

During a recent battle with that long lasting respiratory thing everyone has, I am unsure what caused me more angst.  My intermittent cough and laryngitis or the accumulation of OTC flu and cold meds atop my desk.  I am a must make the bed before I leave the house kind of girl so bedroom disarray doesn't work for me.

What does this have to do with nutrition?  When our personal space feels out of whack, it's much easier to fall into a pattern of disordered eating ranging from skipped meals to closet bingeing from that bag of Ruffles, Ben & Jerry's Phish Food, or the kids Halloween candy, pick your poison.

When our personal space is compromised, so is our resolve to eat clean, unprocessed foods.  So, take a deep cleansing breath and enlist everyone's help to put things back where they belong.  Eliminating that which causes us stress makes it so much easier to take the time to choose salad or an apple when we're famished rather than the closest "junk" food. 

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment