Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Protein: Is That Extra Chicken Breast as Harmful as a Pack of Cigarettes?



Last week, your homepage likely featured reporting of a study that seemed to indicate too much animal protein at midlife may increase risk of cancer by four percent. Seniors 65 and older seem to benefit from an increase of protein.

Is a daily diet of scambled egg whites, a grilled chicken salad,  and an occasional steak dinner the health risk equivalent of smoking a pack of Marlboros, unfiltered? Where do diets such as Paleo and the Dukan Diet fit in?

The study by Italian and American researchers tracked thousands of people over a decade. The outcome seems to indicate a diet with over 10% of calories from protein at midlife from cancer as well as an increased risk of developing diabetes.  For someone at 150 lbs., this would be the equivalent of 8 oz. of chicken, meat, or fish or several cups of dried beans.

Anecdotal nutrition studies have several limitations. People aren't always truthful about what they ate.  And these studies don't consider the other variables.  Do these people exercise?  Eat processed foods?  Eat vegetables?

I've followed both ends of the dietary spectrum and spent time in the middle. I've been a Dr. Ornish vegan, eating no fat and done a high protein diet prescribed by a doctor who advised me to "eat small animals."

Following seven years as a pescatarian, I've recently expanded my diet to include some poultry and occasional beef.  I work out seven days a week so my body craved protein.  I'v'e been feeling much more energetic.

Did the report cause me to change my mind?

I believe in moderation and listening to our bodies.  After indulging in an In & Out Burger with my daughter today, I'll prepare grilled vegetables for dinner.  It's about balance, portion control, and allowing for occasional indulgences.  And movement.

Diets and workout regimens are not one-size fits all.  Listen to your body.

Unless your body tells you to do a Taco Bell drive through at 2 AM!





No comments:

Post a Comment